Saturday, April 11, 2009

The benefits of social health care outweigh the costs

When my children were under six years of age, we lived in the city of Yokohama in Kanagawa prefecture. All healthcare for them was covered under the national healthcare. I did not have to pay for any of their health checkups or immunizations. Even in emergency situations, the copayment fees were so incredibly minimal, it was as if we didn't have to pay (I recall paying, at times, less than $5). I have not confirmed this news, but have heard the government wants to have free healthcare for all children through elementary school. Nice thought!

Even now, for the THREE of us to have a regular dental exam and cleaning, costs a total of approximately $60.

I can't imagine returning to the United States and losing such great healthcare support. The benefits of social healthcare definitely outweigh the costs of so many people not even having any healthcare at all.

Brooke Yamaki
Japan
Minnesota

No comments: