Thursday, March 12, 2009

The quality of medicine is very high

I think the best story I could give, and one that is particularly personal for me, is the cost and

quality of having a child in Japan. My wife and I just had our first child and we were both (maybe me

more as she’s Japanese) amazed at the quality and cost to having a child in the country. First,

Japan has one of the lowest mortality rates in the world because the quality of medicine is very high.

I would certainly say this was the case with our childbirth. Second, the net cost to us was only about

200,000 to 300,000 yen ($2-3K). Although I’m sure location plays a part (we live in Tokyo), it is our understanding

that all Japanese can get the same cost almost anywhere in Japan. I would say the process here

is very easy and certainly a relief when you hear of the big costs that can occur with having a child in the U.S.

We were very impressed with the entire process.

Aaron Lloyd
Japan
California

No comments: