Sunday, March 15, 2009

Maternity stay in U.S. reimbursed

Although I live in Japan with my Japanese husband, I gave birth to my first child in the United States (Montana) and had some intervention. I had saved all of my hospital receipts and after returning to Japan, I was able to submit all of the bills (approximately $3200) to the Japanese Health Care system. In Japan, at that time, all births were covered up to 300,000 yen ($3000). We only had to pay out of pocket about $200. It would have cost more had I stayed in the hospital with my new baby for more than one night. In Japan, it is common for new mothers and babies to stay one week. Depending on the hospital, the price can vary, but in general, the cost runs around the reimbursement amount of 300,000 yen. I am not sure what amount American insurance covers in childbirth, but I felt we were pretty lucky to get the $3000 back!

Brooke
Yamaki, Japan
Minnesota

No comments: